Review (kinda)—Black Sheep
I'm going to start this week's review with a little peek behind the curtain to show how the proverbial sausage is made.
Normally, the review that's posted isn't necessarily where I ate the previous weekend. I like to keep a bank of stuff built up for the rare weekend when work or life means I can't get our for breakfast. After a series of weekends where work and life took me out of the breakfast game, my bank had been depleted.
And so, that's why—even with a raging head cold, and no sense of taste to speak of—this week's review is a little different.
We went to the Black Sheep. This place is known for their brunch. The menu is filled with many delicious looking things. And I think my meal was really good, but I'd be lying if I told you how it tasted.
For what it's worth, I got the Veggie Hash. Texture wise it was great—the veggies were all cooked perfectly. The eggs were medium poached which isn't necessarily my favourite (I want that runny yolk of a soft poached egg, always). I will say there was a lot of oil in the bottom of the bowl when I was finished with what I could eat. But that's as much as I can say. I could have been eating pickled beets with cod tongue for all I know. I couldn't taste a damn thing of this amazing looking breakfast.
My frequent brunch companion—Man Friend—is not fond of the social media. He doesn't take mediocre pictures of his food like I do when we go out to eat. He's a willing accomplice in the whole thing, but not an official contributor. Until today.
Here's his take on the Diner Breakfast:
- $12.50 seems steep but you get a lot
- The eggs were perfectly done (over easy)
- The sausage is nice, a little spicy but not prohibitively spicy (editor's note: says the man who always gets a side of Tabasco with his breakfast...)
- The condiments: blueberry basil jam and black mayo were both delicious and interesting
- The bread was delicious
- The salad is nice because not just greens and vinaigrette. It's like an actual salad with I think goat's cheese and seeds and stuff.
- Parking is ample. Just kidding. That's pretty much it.
He also asked me to include this video:
Anyway, there you have it. Hopefully the plague will pass and I'll be able to provide more accurate musings on breakfast by next week.